Friday, May 27, 2005

 
I had to laugh at this article, where a Korean geneticist claims that steady Asian hands armed with chopsticks were they key to recent breakthroughs in stem-cell research. I found it ironic, because I work in a plasma physics lab where I routinely handle extremely delicate metal wires 10 micron in diameter (about one-fifth the diameter of human hair). For the past week, I've been spending 8 hours every evening soldering these wires between two electrodes, which are then charged up to a very high voltage, super-heating the wire and causing it to explode into a plasma.

It's been nice since the end of finals exactly one week ago, to have plenty of time to spend at the lab. During the semester, my research project had always taken a backseat to the daily grind of homework sets, so I find it relaxing to go into the lab with nothing else to worry about, and set off explosions to the tune of "Are You Ready For The Fallout" by Fastball. Not having to multitask must the be best part about not having classes or a family. Something to look forward to when school is finally over.



<< Home