Saturday, May 07, 2005

 
Classes ended yesterday. In honor of this article from the Onion, one of my classmates dressed up as President Bush to our last quantum mechanics lecture: plastic mask,Texan accent and everything. Professor Neubert didn't seem all that amused, however, when the president asked a question about the timeframes for B-Meson decays, even though that was what the final lecture was about. After much urging, he did agree to pose for a picture with the president at the end of the lecture, with the comment "Oh great, another picture with Mr. President".

At the end of the last classical mechanics lecture my classmates clapped for Professor Flanagan, which I believe is some kind of Ivy-league emulation of an old European tradition. Professor Flanagan, who is from Ireland, threw up his eyebrows during the applause, and gave us a "you guys aren't Europeans, what are you doing" kind of look.

There is a festival called Slope Day here at this university, which is always held on the last day of classes of the Spring Semester. On this day, students gather on the big slope separating the Arts Quad from West Campus to celebrate the end of the school year with heavy drinking and loud music. I unfortunately had a final problem set for my mathematical physics class to finish that afternoon, so I wasn't able to attend, but I hear it was a good time. The noted gangster rapper Snoop Dogg was there, and apparently he approved.



<< Home