Saturday, March 26, 2005
It's been a slow week off, spent almost entirely by myself. I take lots of time to simply sit and think, and sometimes I even think about the physics problems I should be working on. I take occasional breaks to clean some part of the apartment or cook myself a meal, remembering to feed the cats before I feed myself.
When I get really bored, I try to coax the cats to catch the mouse in our storage closet. I can hear the mouse rustling around at night and tearing up our paper towels, but Indie and Callie are too well-fed and complacent to do anything about it. Instead of killing the mouse, they amuse themselves by helping the mouse tear up our supply of paper towels. Over the night, they pulled the little flower sitting on my desk out of its cup of water, for me to find shriveled up on my floor in the morning. Sometimes it seems like taking joy in ripping things apart is a characteristic shared by all mammals. The ability of the cats to increase the entropy of my apartment is impressive indeed.
When I get really bored, I try to coax the cats to catch the mouse in our storage closet. I can hear the mouse rustling around at night and tearing up our paper towels, but Indie and Callie are too well-fed and complacent to do anything about it. Instead of killing the mouse, they amuse themselves by helping the mouse tear up our supply of paper towels. Over the night, they pulled the little flower sitting on my desk out of its cup of water, for me to find shriveled up on my floor in the morning. Sometimes it seems like taking joy in ripping things apart is a characteristic shared by all mammals. The ability of the cats to increase the entropy of my apartment is impressive indeed.