Thursday, January 06, 2005
About a week ago, I made some complaints about the stinginess of rich nations offering aid to the victims of the Southeast Asian earthquakes. I held up the examples of South Korea and the United States as examples of such stinginess, only to be corrected a few days later when both countries increased their promised aid by factors of ten or more. However, this article makes me wonder if I was too naive in assuming that the rich governments would live up to their promise. (The article gives several examples in which promised aid to disaster stricken nations never materialized in full.)
For the cynical, a broken promise may already be a bygone conclusion, as this article on BBspot shows. In the meantime, I hope to follow this story after the brouhaha concerning the earthquake dies down in the mass media. Maybe if enough people stay interested for long enough, governments will be obliged to make good on their promises.
For the cynical, a broken promise may already be a bygone conclusion, as this article on BBspot shows. In the meantime, I hope to follow this story after the brouhaha concerning the earthquake dies down in the mass media. Maybe if enough people stay interested for long enough, governments will be obliged to make good on their promises.