Wednesday, November 24, 2004

 
You may or may not know of a bizarre tradition at the White House, where every Thanksgiving the president is presented with a prize turkey, and the president "pardons'' this lucky turkey to live out the rest of its days in a retirement colony, instead of being stuffed and baked like many of its fellow turkeys. (Of course, the president then goes on to eat some other turkey for Thanksgiving dinner.) As I understand it, there are many turkeys which are groomed for the coveted position of National Thanksgiving Turkey, and the most well-behaved and sociable turkey is then selected to be presented to the national leader.

I couldn't help thinking, after reading about this, how nice it would have been if the current president had been this forgiving when he was the governor of Texas. I could see the mother of a Texan death row inmate, reading the same story, and thinking "Bush could pardon a turkey, but he wouldn't pardon my son?"

Talk about irony.



<< Home