Monday, August 16, 2004
This summer I've been lifting and running like mad, mostly because I have the time to spare. Tonight, I'm exhausted after going to the gym for an hour and taking a 45 min run afterwards. The first 10 minutes of a run is always the most painful: my lungs hurt like hell, and my lower legs scream in protest. But I guess that's just an initial burn in period, because after those 10 minutes, I feel nothing but the cool evening air, and I feel as if I could run forever. To watch my feet chew up the miles... it's a great feeling.
And of course the lavish facilities at Dillon Gym offer treadmills to run on, but I prefer running around outside. Treadmills are nice in that the machine keeps the pace for you, the machine pushes you, and although you look something like a hamster in a wheel, it's good for your body. There are lots of thin girls working to maintain their figures on the treadmills at Dillon. But while the treadmill is an exercise for the body, I feel running is fundamentally an exercise for the mind. Running outside, you are the one that's pushing yourself farther and faster, and you are the one that can also take it easy and walk.
So, although I have no idea why I keep going back to the weightroom, I am quite sure that I run for my mental health. If I stopped running, I don't think I could keep it together for very long. Running is what makes it possible for me to keep my sanity in this lonely foreign country.
And I guess this is fortunate for my physical health, but the past few days I've been motivated to run faster and harder than ever before. More on that below.
And of course the lavish facilities at Dillon Gym offer treadmills to run on, but I prefer running around outside. Treadmills are nice in that the machine keeps the pace for you, the machine pushes you, and although you look something like a hamster in a wheel, it's good for your body. There are lots of thin girls working to maintain their figures on the treadmills at Dillon. But while the treadmill is an exercise for the body, I feel running is fundamentally an exercise for the mind. Running outside, you are the one that's pushing yourself farther and faster, and you are the one that can also take it easy and walk.
So, although I have no idea why I keep going back to the weightroom, I am quite sure that I run for my mental health. If I stopped running, I don't think I could keep it together for very long. Running is what makes it possible for me to keep my sanity in this lonely foreign country.
And I guess this is fortunate for my physical health, but the past few days I've been motivated to run faster and harder than ever before. More on that below.