Saturday, July 10, 2004
My mother keeps calling to tell me about all the fresh and delicious vegetables that she's getting out of her garden, which I had planted and worked on for the month in Ohio I spent at her house. Apparently, the lettuce, sesame, and Chinese cabbage have all grown very well, and the cucumbers and scallions have done better than she expected. Like so many times in life, I feel as if this is another instance in which I never got to see all my hard labor come to fruition, because I moved away too soon. I always felt that way about my aborted high school career in Korea, and I sometimes wonder how well I would have done for myself there, if I hadn't been uprooted once again in an untimely manner. Today, I wish I could see how the pumpkins and the tomato plants back in Ohio are doing.
Well, despite how all that turned out, I look forward to planting another garden for my mother next spring. My mother even has all the plant species planned out.
Well, despite how all that turned out, I look forward to planting another garden for my mother next spring. My mother even has all the plant species planned out.