Sunday, July 25, 2004

 
I found out that not only has this blog been blocked from Korea, but every blog on foreign servers has been blocked from Korea. This is part of the current administration's damage control, to counter the political fallout from the killing of a South Korean in Iraq about a month ago. Apparently, various bloggers had been posting pictures and videos of a graphic nature concerning the killing, which have been forbidden (the fascists!) in Korea.

Of course this is month-old news, but I don't think I've ever commented on Kim Sun-il's untimely demise at the hands of Iraqi fighters. And I really don't have a lot to say about it, other than to note that Mr. Kim had been working for a South Korean firm which had been selling various supplies to the US military in Iraq. I think he knew the risks of trying to make a profit off of the suffering of others (namely, the Iraqi civilians brutalized by the American occupation), and I don't really understand why all of South Korea got in an uproar when his gamble didn't pay off.

Imperialism is a high-stakes game. I guess Koreans wouldn't really know anything about that.







<< Home