Thursday, April 01, 2004

 
owned

I spent much of yesterday in an internet cafe, killing time by playing counterstrike. I sat next to a clan of Korean counterstrike players, the tallest of which was about half my height. They kept referring to me as "old man" as they shot me in the head round after round, or "owning" me as the CS lingo goes. I couldn't help but wonder if all the other Korean CS players I'd run into online were little kids that had to stand on their chairs in order to be able to see their screens. Apparently the kind of computer games you play in Korea is determined by generation; kids in elementary school tend to play CS, while kids of my generation are more likely to spend countless hours destroying each other in starcraft. As I was leaving, the diminutive clan leader started to beg his friends for cash so he could keep playing. I gave him 500 Won (half an hour's worth), and he immediately darted off to buy more playing time.



<< Home