Friday, April 02, 2004

 
Near the northern edge of Seoul there is a small mountain called Buram San, and as it is only a few miles from where I am staying, I like to go hiking there quite often. About halfway up the mountain, there is a natural spring with excellent water quality (or so the city inspectors claim), and I go there every other day or so to bring down a tank full of drinking water for my grandmother and her family. Hiking up my mountain is a very peaceful way to get away from the chaotic hustle and bustle of Seoul for a few hours. The mountain itself seems to have been reforested a few decades ago; it is covered with small young trees a palm or two in diameter, in addition to a variety of small bush and shrub life. In the past few days some of the plant life has started flowering, and overall the mountain has been very relaxing. Because I've come to regard my mountain as a place to rest my mind, I was particularly insulted when I was approached on my way down this afternoon by a Christian lady, who handed me a pamphlet and proceeded to proselytize me, despite the fact that I was struggling with several gallons of spring water strapped to my back.

Ah the monotheists... it seems that there isn't a corner of this planet they haven't infiltrated with their propaganda. I find it annoying when a Christian asks me to read the Bible, as I've actually read more of the book than most Christians and Jews I've come across. Now if a Muslim were to ask me to read the Koran, he'd have a good point, as I haven't read any of that. However, Islam isn't exactly wide-spread in Korea, and needless to say, I wouldn't want to advertise my faith by attempting to convert people on the street if I were a Muslim living in America.



<< Home