Tuesday, April 27, 2004
I had planned to take the bus up here to college, before moving on to NYC. So, on Sunday morning, I arrived a quarter of an hour early to buy a ticket for the 8 AM bus. The lady working at the ticket counter told me she'd rather not sell me the ticket, as her shift ended at 8 and she wanted to get off work early. I wasn't sure how much work was involved in printing out a bus ticket, so I told her incredulously that my bus left at 8, and I wouldn't be able to get on it unless she sold me the ticket. She assured me that I would be fine, as the bus was running half an hour behind schedule. I waited for the lady who would begin her shift at 8 to show up and sell me my ticket. She was more than half an hour late to work, during which time my bus came and left. It turned out that she had been in a corner of the building chatting to her friends, and simply didn't feel like showing up to work on time.
I didn't really know what to say. I'm not sure how a company like Greyhound manages to stay afloat, with such work ethic among its employees. I didn't feel like buying a ticket for the next bus on the day after, so I ended up driving up here in a rental car.
I didn't really know what to say. I'm not sure how a company like Greyhound manages to stay afloat, with such work ethic among its employees. I didn't feel like buying a ticket for the next bus on the day after, so I ended up driving up here in a rental car.