Tuesday, March 30, 2004
I had a very busy weekend, as the number of students I am tutoring suddenly jumped from one to four. My second student is a middle schooler who I am tutoring in spoken English as well as in chess. What little I remember about playing chess from when I was in middle school, that is. My third student is a high schooler whose English reading comprehension and vocabulary I'm trying to increase. I am helping her to read "The Art of Loving" by Erich Fromm, a book which I happened to have on me the first day I met her. I insisted that the book would be too difficult, but her aunt was very pushy and eager for her niece to learn new vocabulary. So now I am spewing out several synonyms to every word we come across that she doesn't recognize, making her head spin and eyes pop out. I never knew learning all those words Kilbourne taught me would come in handy some day.
My fourth student is a junior from Ehwa University. She doesn't seem to have a very clear idea of what she wants to get out of studying English with me, which makes my job somewhat hard. On the plus side, she is extremely attractive, and as my job consists of meeting her in a cafe and having an English conversation with her for an hour, I might as well be getting paid to go out on dates.
So all in all, a busy time. But I can't complain.
My fourth student is a junior from Ehwa University. She doesn't seem to have a very clear idea of what she wants to get out of studying English with me, which makes my job somewhat hard. On the plus side, she is extremely attractive, and as my job consists of meeting her in a cafe and having an English conversation with her for an hour, I might as well be getting paid to go out on dates.
So all in all, a busy time. But I can't complain.