Wednesday, February 11, 2004
Murphy's Laws
Much like Galwang, I think Murphy was a student of probability, and one of his laws states that "If there is a worst time for something to go wrong, it will happen then." So it was that today, as I was typing up some intern applications with due dates fast approaching, my keyboard decided to die. How often is it that a keyboard malfunctions? It was certainly the first time I ever saw it happen.
Of course, as Motte tells me, the optimistic way to interpret Murphy's cynicism is that we should not expect to get lucky all the time.
Much like Galwang, I think Murphy was a student of probability, and one of his laws states that "If there is a worst time for something to go wrong, it will happen then." So it was that today, as I was typing up some intern applications with due dates fast approaching, my keyboard decided to die. How often is it that a keyboard malfunctions? It was certainly the first time I ever saw it happen.
Of course, as Motte tells me, the optimistic way to interpret Murphy's cynicism is that we should not expect to get lucky all the time.