Monday, February 09, 2004
I had the strangest dream this morning, that I was a news anchor about to report a devastating earthquake in California in one of those breaking news interruptions. I woke up in a mild sort of panic, and had to scramble to my computer to check the news and make sure there was no real earthquake... even as I thought about how irrational it was to have to look. Ah well, it was a night filled with some very odd dreams; one involved me trapped with several people in a subway train that had somehow wound up in outer space, and was falling back into the earth's atmosphere as a bright meteorite. Another involved Hanna, though I don't quite remember the details of that dream.
Sigh.
I haven't had a very good time with the first couple of weeks back here at school, and I've decided to drop my classes for this semester and take a leave of absence. It's a long overdue break, as the past year has been very hard, and I think I only admitted that I need a break now, because I am so stubborn. I'm starting to realize the only reason I stayed in school last semester was because I needed to prove something to myself... but that only made the previous fall doubly tiring.
And so, I've been trying to decide what to do with my leave of absence. There is an old programming job back in Ohio that I might be able to go back to: that requires little thought and even less physical movement, which might be just what I need. Drew suggests that I go to NYC and rent out the free room in his apartment, and I do have an interesting job offer in a cafe in Manhattan. Interesting only because I've never worked in a cafe before. For a moment, I even considered extending my one semester leave to four, and volunteering to serve in the army in Korea. That thought didn't last long, as I started to remember the lyrics from a certain song by CCR:
Some folks are born made to wave the flag
Ooh, they're red, white, and blue
And when the band plays "Hail to the Chief"
They point the cannon right at you
It ain't me, it ain't me
I ain't no senator's son
It ain't me, it ain't me
I ain't no fortunate one
Sigh.
I haven't had a very good time with the first couple of weeks back here at school, and I've decided to drop my classes for this semester and take a leave of absence. It's a long overdue break, as the past year has been very hard, and I think I only admitted that I need a break now, because I am so stubborn. I'm starting to realize the only reason I stayed in school last semester was because I needed to prove something to myself... but that only made the previous fall doubly tiring.
And so, I've been trying to decide what to do with my leave of absence. There is an old programming job back in Ohio that I might be able to go back to: that requires little thought and even less physical movement, which might be just what I need. Drew suggests that I go to NYC and rent out the free room in his apartment, and I do have an interesting job offer in a cafe in Manhattan. Interesting only because I've never worked in a cafe before. For a moment, I even considered extending my one semester leave to four, and volunteering to serve in the army in Korea. That thought didn't last long, as I started to remember the lyrics from a certain song by CCR:
Some folks are born made to wave the flag
Ooh, they're red, white, and blue
And when the band plays "Hail to the Chief"
They point the cannon right at you
It ain't me, it ain't me
I ain't no senator's son
It ain't me, it ain't me
I ain't no fortunate one