Sunday, November 23, 2003
Hmm... I've forgotten to blog for a long time now. I've been pretty out of it lately. Tonight, I'm having trouble sleeping and nursing a massive headache. My mind is too active; I'm thinking of quantum physics, social psychology, my upcoming trip to Asia, and of course, Hanna, all at the same time, as Kent is singing in Swedish softly in the background, about broken hearts as usual.
I called an old friend in Korea tonight, and as always, the conversation was very intellectual, a sharing of some of our deepest ideas without ever showing any feelings. Which is a great thing, something I should be grateful for, as opposed to taking for granted and being negligent about keeping in touch. It was good to get a fresh, un-American perspective on the world, about things that are important to me such as education, society and nationality.
I'm also reading through the Asia section of yahoo news, as usual, though I sometimes wonder why I bother, given the total propaganda machine that AP really is. (This is what WMD really means to me... weapons of mass deception.) Of course, it would be biased to only read the likes of ZNet. It really bothers me how every attempt by the South Koreans to reach a rapprochement with the North is frustrated by the Americans... it infuriates me not on an immediate emotional level but rather an ideological level, if that makes any sense. In a way, the Americans have every right to oppress Koreans (or any other minority) living in their society, since it is, after all, their society, but the Americans have no moral basis on which to interfere in what goes on in our peninsula. I view the right of a people to choose their own destiny as sacrosanct, and indeed I believe the same goes for every individual on the face of this planet. As my friend pointed out, the Americans do a good deal of moral posturing, shouting very loudly claiming to have built their nation on this very principle, but it's hard to understand how any of them could believe their own words when every action their government takes abroad betrays their own ideals.
I just don't think such a gilded nation built on hollow ideals and hyprocrisy could have a future. And that worries me, because by now, there are people here that matter to me.
I called an old friend in Korea tonight, and as always, the conversation was very intellectual, a sharing of some of our deepest ideas without ever showing any feelings. Which is a great thing, something I should be grateful for, as opposed to taking for granted and being negligent about keeping in touch. It was good to get a fresh, un-American perspective on the world, about things that are important to me such as education, society and nationality.
I'm also reading through the Asia section of yahoo news, as usual, though I sometimes wonder why I bother, given the total propaganda machine that AP really is. (This is what WMD really means to me... weapons of mass deception.) Of course, it would be biased to only read the likes of ZNet. It really bothers me how every attempt by the South Koreans to reach a rapprochement with the North is frustrated by the Americans... it infuriates me not on an immediate emotional level but rather an ideological level, if that makes any sense. In a way, the Americans have every right to oppress Koreans (or any other minority) living in their society, since it is, after all, their society, but the Americans have no moral basis on which to interfere in what goes on in our peninsula. I view the right of a people to choose their own destiny as sacrosanct, and indeed I believe the same goes for every individual on the face of this planet. As my friend pointed out, the Americans do a good deal of moral posturing, shouting very loudly claiming to have built their nation on this very principle, but it's hard to understand how any of them could believe their own words when every action their government takes abroad betrays their own ideals.
I just don't think such a gilded nation built on hollow ideals and hyprocrisy could have a future. And that worries me, because by now, there are people here that matter to me.